Tuesday, June 5, 2007

More immigration

Um, sorry to come late to the debate guys, but here's my first shot at the immigration issue:

First off, the premise that it is primarily an economic issue. Are you kidding me? I suppose the effects immigration would have on our welfare state constitute an economic issue. You cannot have open borders and a welfare state. Since I don't see our country giving up welfare and entitlements any time soon, open borders are a no-go.

But of far more concern to me are the issues of the rule of law and security. We are a nation of laws. If we're not enforcing the laws already on the books for immigration, throwing more laws on top isn't going to fix anything. Why not try to work within the framework we already have? So what if we can't deport every illegal - you've got to start somewhere, right? Rewarding people for breaking the law bothers me no matter what the situation and no matter what the economic benefit may be (though I'm not convinced there is an economic benefit).

The lack of a civil debate over this very important issue is disturbing. One side (i.e. Linda Chavez) calling the other side racist is the kind of inexcusable politics the right has often accused the left of perpetrating. If your argument depends on the other side being "racist" you've run out of ideas.

1 comment:

Philip said...

Very nice post! You said it lots better than I did!