Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Michigan Republican Debate

Having watched a dozen or so snippets of today's debate in Michigan, I am unimpressed. Entering late into the debate series, Fred Thompson seemed to be on the defensive. While successfully navigating televised debates doesn't necessarily correlate with great leadership, I was disappointed by Mr. Thompson's lack of eloquence. Sadly, his performance this afternoon just didn't inspire confidence--at least for me.

After today's debate, I would hesitate to put Mike Huckabee in charge of a large high school. This is irrelevant since he has no chance of winning the nomination.

Who sounded the most presidential? Mr. Romney and Mr. Giuliani came off well, I thought.

Of course, there's no need to analyze the actual content of the debate. If I want to know where a candidate stands on an issue, I have many far superior sources at my disposal. Presidential debates in the information age represent little more than theatrical obstacle courses.

It would be nice if Mr. Thompson could project a better image in future appearances, but it's of little consequence to my nomination decision. He's right on the issues, and his stated principles are backed up by his record in the U.S. Senate. He has a good shot at winning the election. He will have my support.

No comments: