Monday, January 28, 2008

Love & Respect: Read It Today!

I just got finished reading THE best book ever on marriage and relationships! It's called Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs.

His main thesis is that a woman's deepest need is to be loved (no surprises here), and that a man's deepest need is to be respected (very counter- cultural stuff). This message is both simple and profound. Eggerichs takes his main Scriptural support from Ephesians 5:33, a verse that takes on a renewed and powerful meaning.

Men are commanded to love, because love does not come as naturally to a man. And while women are experts at showing love, they are not as quick to respect their husbands. With all the talk of women being submissive, we have missed this part about respect, and it makes everything else come into focus.

Finally, men and women can truly be everything God has created them to be, reaching an equality much greater than anything offered by the culture. Whether your marriage is already pretty good or not (or even if you're only preparing for marriage), this book will change your life and revolutionize your relationships.

6 comments:

todd said...

I've actually started hearing the "key needs" discussion phrased just like this over the past year or so - Love for wives, Respect for husbands. I quite agree -- I'll keep the book in mind. I just finished Chuck Swindoll's Marriage: From Surviving to Thriving and he hits upon it also. Familylife Today also goes to this quite often. I'm like you really appreciate this type of focus in particular -- it's helpful and simple (perfect for us guys). I guess it shouldn't be a big surprise though -- turns out it's been around for a while :
Eph. 5: 33 - Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Travis said...

Thanks for the enthusiastic endorsement and review. I ordered this book last week and it is scheduled to arrive today. My plan is to use it as the basis for a couples' Bible study. I'm more eager to read it now that I've read your recommendation.

In an unrelated matter - would you please email me camp dates, cost, and other info? Thanks!

Philip said...

Thanks for the positive comments! It's refreshing to post something non-political once in a while...

Travis - I'll get that to you pronto.

Travis said...

I hope that previous comments haven't been seen as "negative". If the expression of my opposing viewpoints has been negative I sincerely apologize. That was not my intent.

Philip said...

Hey, don't sweat it. We're all adults here. This Huckabee/Thompson episode did get pretty heated, but all that seems to be behind us now.

I just hope the McCain/Romney episode doesn't replace it. But if it does, I am prepared to bash non-conservative ideas and be bashed alike. :)

todd said...

Feel free to view my comments as negative :-)