Wednesday, February 27, 2008

New Light Bulbs = Mercury Poisoning!

A horrific story from The Boston Globe. Key quotes:

"We found some very high levels [of mercury] even after we tried a number of cleanup techniques," said Mark Hyland, director of Maine's Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management. He said levels were the lowest if the room was well ventilated after breakage.

The study recommended that if a compact fluorescent breaks, get children and pets out of the room. Ventilate the room. Never use a vacuum, even on a rug, to clean up a broken compact fluorescent lamps. Instead, use stiff paper such as index cards and tape to pick up pieces, and then wipe the area with a wet wipe or damp paper towel. If there are young children or pregnant woman in the house, consider cutting out the piece of carpet where the lamp broke as a precaution. Place the shards and cleanup debris in a glass jar with a screw top and remove the jar from the house.

That sounds great! And so easy, too! So mercury is okay now... And this from the environmentalists!

5 comments:

Stephen said...

I went to a Chinese buffet one time that had replaced all their heat lamps with these compact fluorescent bulbs.

Ah, mercury, sweetest of the transition metals.

Philip said...

lol

mark said...

Just goes to show how far the libs and enviro-whackos will go to control the rest of us!

sara said...

I read that article, and I love that it goes on to say that despite the huge health hazards, we should keep using the lightbulbs because of the benefit to the environment.
Proof that the environmentalists (and apparently the EPA) value the environment over human life.

Michele said...

...follow the money...