Sunday, January 18, 2009

Opting Out

In case anybody's wondering why I haven't been posting very much lately, I'm simply opting out of the whole Obama coronation ceremony and related events. I find it too ridiculous to even comment on. Certainly there should be some amount of pomp and circumstance surrounding the swearing in of a new American president (four times the cost of the previous celebration seems a bit much, BTW), but what's happening in every newspaper, television network and political/news/fashion/style/celebrity website is far beyond any reasonable level of praise for any mortal man. Of course, that's part of the problem--many Obama supporters do not exactly see him as quite human, in the strictest sense.

I predict that this event will soon pass, like so many overdone red-carpet oscar nights have done before. In a week or two, we'll all be off to the next big thing. I'll catch you on the flip side. I do hope for the best as I look to the next four years, but my sense of reality tells me that I should not set my expectations too high. Obama is truly set to make history--in the category of broken promises and false hope.

4 comments:

Gail said...

"I find it too ridiculous to even comment on"

I think you just did LOL!!!

Jason said...

Just out of curiosity, what is the cost breakdown for the inauguration? Presumably some of that is for security, which should scale as the number of people attending, right?

Karen said...

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Seriously: didn't I say some of this to you before you blogged it? Just checking.

And, for the record, I am very happy in our little alternate reality we've constructed for ourselves. No rush to re-join the "real world" as far as I'm concerned.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!